Newhall Mansion traces its origins to 1887, when David Caleb Cook, a prominent religious literature publisher from Illinois, purchased over 13,000 acres of the historic Rancho Temescal in the upper Santa Clara Valley. Cook's vision for the land was ambitious: a "Second Garden of Eden" planted with biblical species including figs, olives, dates, and pomegranates. The mansion itself was constructed between 1889 and 1893, designed by acclaimed California architects Samuel and Joseph Cather Newsom, whose work defined the Queen Anne Victorian style across the state.
After passing through several owners, the property was acquired in 1968 by Scott and Ruth Newhall, whose commitment to preservation would define the estate's modern story. That commitment was tested in 1981, when a spark from a painter's blowtorch during a restoration project burned the wood-framed structure to its foundation in a matter of hours. Rather than accept the loss, the Newhalls rebuilt the 12,000-square-foot mansion by 1983, using original blueprints and historic photographs to restore it to its 1890s specifications. The reconstruction is so faithful that the property is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. In 2012, the estate was converted into the wedding and event venue it is today.